Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Work Out Like a Beast With Gorilla Workout – iPad App Review


I am ashamed to admit it, but I ate so much food over the holidays that I can no longer fit comfortably in my pants. I promised myself that I would start eating better and exercising to burn off some of the extra weight I'd gained. I have improved my eating habits, but the cold weather keeps me from wanting to do anything but snuggle under a blanket with my iPad and a cup of hot cocoa.



One way to get me off my duff is to stick an iPad in front of my face with a workout routine on it. Gorilla Workout offers an easy and instructive way to begin a fitness and strength training regimen without having to join a gym.





Users start by selecting their level of fitness ability. If you can perform 75 or more push-ups, you can start on level four. If, like me, you can't get past 10 push-ups, then you are a beginner and get to start off at level one.



Each day has a list of exercises to complete. For example, on day one of the first level fitness program, users must complete eight squats, four lunges and 10 "modified" push-ups. A modified push-up means you keep your knees on the ground while doing the exercise. When I was a kid, we called them "girl push-ups."



Gorilla Workout 2


Gorilla Workout 1




Each exercise includes a detailed description of how to do it, plus information on which part of the body is being worked. For example, The Quadriceps are being worked when you are performing Broad Jumps. The starting position for the exercise is to stand, shoulder width apart. The movement is "jumping with a strong forward motion propelling yourself as far as possible."



If the exercise's description is not enough for you to understand, you can also watch a short video demonstration.



Gorilla Workout 5


Gorilla Workout 3




This app is intended to increase your core strength by using your body's own weight. The exercises are all built around jumps, squats, sit-ups, push-ups, and other exercises that require you to work against your body. It is simple to use and the exercises, while difficult, are not complex or space consuming. Depending on what type of office you work in, you could literally complete these workout routines at your desk.



Gorilla Workout 4


Gorilla Workout 6




What I Liked: The first level exercises are hard, but not overwhelming. I didn't feel intimidated getting started. I also didn't have to suit up or go outside to complete them.



What I Didn’t Like: The video demonstrations are pretty grainy. I assume the developers chose to use low-resolution videos in order to keep the file size down, so it isn't a big deal.



To Buy or Not to Buy: You can turn your flabby winter mass into a fit temple for only $0.99. That is about a third of the cost of a cup of coffee from Starbucks. Which would you rather have – a hard body or a grande Caff Latte?


  • Name: Gorilla Workout: Fitness Aerobic and Strength Trainer on a Budget
  • Version Reviewed: 2.0.1
  • Category: Health & Fitness
  • Developer: Heckr
  • Price: $0.99
  • Score:

No comments:

Post a Comment