Wednesday, November 14, 2012

May The Force Be With You – Angry Birds Star Wars HD – iPad App Review





I'm about to admit something that may cause you to question everything you've ever known about me. I don't like Angry Birds. There, I said it. I feel liberated. It is a dark secret to keep when you are an app reviewer, but I don't like Angry Birds. That is the first thing people ask me about when I tell them what I do for a living.



Physics-based games like that had already been around for a while, and frankly, I was bored with the genre by the time those red birds came around.



I am however, kind of a Star Wars geek (although these days, who isn't, right. When I first found out that Rovio was collaborating with LucasFilms to create a bird-brained version of my favorite movie of all time, I was excited and irritated at the same time. Puffy little birds dressed like Chewbacca and Han-flipping-Solo... yes, please! It's just too bad that the game is so boring.









Or is it? The last time I played Angry Birds was only a few months after it first launched in 2009. I was unimpressed and never went back. That is, until Angry Birds Star Wars.



Admittedly, the game is fun. It looks good and plays smooth. There are lots of different structures to knock over. The levels are fun. I may not play through the entire game, but I did enjoy it.



Now, as far as being Star Wars related, this game is really adorable. Players get to fling Angry Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Han Solo, and the rest of the Rebel forces who try to defeat evil in the universe. The plump fighters try to knock down Storm Troopers, Sand Troopers, Tusken Raiders. Chubby Chewie... so cute!







There is a bonus level that players unlock when they collect stars. The R2D2 and C3PO levels let players fling the helpful droids through outer space to stop Imperial Troopers from invading Tatooine.



In addition to being able to crash into precariously stacked structures, these birds have weapons. Luke uses a lightsaber to slash through wood and glass. Obi-Wan uses the force to push enemies into each other. Han uses a blaster rifle to shoot his way out of a tough spot.



The game comes with two different worlds, plus the bonus world. The first is Tatooine and players follow the story that unfolds during A New Hope. Every so often, there is a cinema short that plays, showing you where you would be in the movie. For example, the first time Han shows up in the game, you are introduced to him through a cinema short that shows Angry Birds as characters at the Mos Eisley Cantina.



Once you make it through all 40 levels on Tatooine, you'll unlock the Death Star, where the story of The Empire Strikes Back unfolds.







There is a third level. The Path of the Jedi comes with 40 levels that follow the Return of the Jedi storyline. However, only the first level of this world comes with the game. Players must pay an additional $1.99 through an in-app purchase if they want to play with Jedi Luke, Yoda and other Dagobah themed levels.



Overall, this is a surprisingly fun game with an adorable theme. Unfortunately, it is not universal and players have to drop an additional two bucks to play the entire game. Other than the unreasonably high price, I found myself enjoying it.







What I liked: Those puffy little Star Wars dudes are so cute. I love Angry Bird Chewbacca so much that I want to squish his fat little face.



What I didn't like: Why would a game developer charge $2.99 for a game and then ask its players to pay another $1.99 to unlock one-third of it. That is a bad call on Rovio's part. They should have just charged $5.99 and made it universal.



To buy or not to buy: If you are a fan of Angry Birds, obviously, you've already downloaded this game. If you are one of the hidden few that doesn't care much for the physics-based genre, you may want to skip this game. It is too high priced for Star Wars Geeks that don't really like Angry Birds.


  • Name: Angry Birds Star Wars HD
  • Version Reviewed: 1.0.0
  • Category: Games
  • Developer: Rovio Entertainment
  • Price: $2.99
  • Score:

No comments:

Post a Comment